Planning a Visit for Your Classroom
Work with us to build your ideal Museum visit including tours, planetarium shows and a ride on the carousel! We offer self-guided and guided programming for any classroom visit. Including:
For groups of 20 or more.
|Kent County Schools student general admission||FREE with reservation|
|Student general admission||$3.00 per person|
|Carousel ride||$1.00 per person|
|60 minute guided education programs||$4.00 per person|
|90 minute guided education programs||$5.00 per person|
|Planetarium show additional fee||$4.00 per person|
|Planetarium-only visit||$5.00 per person|
|Custom Museum staff lecture/tour fee||$75.00|
|Hourly fee for Museum staff development of custom program||$30.00|
- Payment for group sales is due 2 weeks prior to visit.
- Group sales will be billed based on the number of students in the class at the time of payment. If the group numbers decrease within that 2 week period or on the day of the visit, the GRPM is not able to issue a refund.
- If additional students or adults are with the group on the day of the visit, additional tickets will need to be purchased upon arrival.
- Groups will receive 1 complimentary adult (teacher, school staff, or chaperone) with every 5 paid students.
- Memberships are not applicable for group booking discounts.
- Please note that a full refund will be given if the visit is cancelled 48 hours prior to the visit.
- No refund will be given for cancellations within 48 hours of the visit.
- Exceptions include emergency school closure or snow day.
For additional questions, call Group Scheduling at 616.929.1734.
Crystal Flash is bringing students from rural schools to visit the GRPM for educational programs by underwriting busing costs!
Thanks to a generous grant from Crystal Flash, rural schools who visit the GRPM can get up to $250 reimbursed per bus for transportation costs. Reimbursement amounts will depend on distance traveled to the Museum, and must be approved in advance of visiting. To be considered for a busing stipend, reserve your school group today! Must be a rural school to qualify. In order to receive the stipend, schools must book a paid experience, excluding carousel rides. Reserve your group trip now, transportation stipends available while funds last.
Guided Education Programs
Guided education programs are delivered by the Museum’s dedicated volunteer and staff educators. Programs provide learners opportunities to explore culture, history and science through tours, hands-on activities, and guided exploration.
Museum Programming Strands:
- Explore – These exhibit explorations will help students hone their skills to become museum learners for life.
- Investigate – Hands-on primary source investigations will help students unveil the stories held in the Museum’s artifact and specimen collections.
- STEAM – Students will learn about a variety of science, technology, engineering, art/design, and math concepts, utilizing innovative Museum technology and resources such as neuroscience research equipment and electronic prototyping materials.
- Discover – This series of diverse, place-based programs emphasize where local examples of history, culture, and science can be found in the Museum and in the city of Grand Rapids.
- Share – Storytelling, empathizing, perspective-taking, and creative writing will push students to engage at a deep level with the experiences of diverse individuals who have lived throughout history.
Roger B. Chaffee Planetarium
Planetarium Movies are pre-made immersive shows that incorporate animation, video, and special effects. They can be on a variety of topics ranging from astronomy, Earth science, physics, and even entertainment! Many of these movies also include a live portion, during which viewers can learn about the constellations and planets in tonight’s sky (see “Live Introductions” section below for further information).
The following shows are presented live by a planetarium expert. Often the shows can be customized for a particular age group, and visitors are encouraged to interact and questions throughout for a truly unique experience!
LIVE INTRODUCTIONS FOR PLANETARIUM MOVIES
Many Planetarium Movies include a live introduction about the night sky (unless specified in the movie’s description). Any of the following special introductions can be chosen instead, for a more custom planetarium experience.
The GRPM encourages mutually beneficial collaborative projects with academic faculty and student classes. To discuss your ideas or present a proposal for collaboration, please contact the Education Department at 616.929.1706.